Gavi DOCG Pisé
Biodynamic Piedmontese White Wine
It's the best example of our corporate philosophy.
It's amazing for its longevity and for the olfactory evolution in the days and years that follow the bottle opening.
The 2018 vintage’s passage into oak barrels confirms the varietal characteristics of the Cortese vine.
The vineyard which our Pisé cru comes from is one of the oldest of La Raia. It is located approximately 300 meters above sea level in a hill with South, South-West exposure which is particularly suited for the Cortese grape varietal. The red soil, well drained and sandy, limits the vigorous canopy, the production of each vine and allows the grapes to obtain an extraordinary quality. According to the biodynamic principles, the vineyards are treated only with a moderate dose of sulfur and copper. Restoring the soil with green manure is the goal of a better microbiologic and nutritional balance, ensuring a deep fertility of the soil.
The grapes for the Pisé are selected and harvested towards the end of September. They present a great set of aromas, an important sugar and acidity content, which are crucial qualities to produce a long-lived delightful white wine with a remarkable structure.
After gently pressing the grapes, the static settling of the grape must occur at a low temperature. The limited contact with oxygen and the attention to the transformation steps contribute to magnifying the original characteristics of this grape varietal and the territory: fruitiness and flavors. The alcoholic fermentation takes place in 25 HL Stockinger barrels, where the wine ferments and remains on the lees for 12 months. Then the wine is transferred to stainless steel tanks where it finishes its sur lie maturation for another 12 months, at controlled temperature. At the end the Gavi Pisé is bottled and after 6 months is released in the market. The long contact period with the fine lees, a technique which characterizes this cru since its first vintage in 2005, makes it a long-lasting wine, capable of evolving both in the bottle and in the glass. The touch of wood, which has been introduced from the 2018 vintage, further improves its nose complexity and structure while highlighting all the varietal cha- racteristics of the Cortese grape.
Colour: brilliant light straw yellow with slightly greenish hints.
Aroma: broad and intense, with complex nose, floral notes complemented by ripe fruit, pear and honey. As well as a slight note of vanilla.
Mouthfeel: very rich, warm and harmonic, with a moderate but present acidity, savory with a persistent and concentrated finish.
Evolution after opening and service: once the bottle is open, the wine is preserved for 4/5 days. During this period, above all, a very slow aromatic evolution is observed, with a jump from fruity and floral notes to mineral and citrus ones.
Bottle ageing: the same evolution is noted as the years go by. This vintage will give, compared to the previous one, a slight touch of vanilla.
Alcohol Content: 12,5%
Excellent with all seafood which complements its saltiness and fleshy delicacy. It pairs per- fectly with vegetable risotto and aged cheeses.
Best served between 11° and 13° C.
If stored in a cool dry place and in the dark, at 10°/18° C, bottles may last for over 10 years.
Respecting the earth gives great quality. Gavi DOCG Pisé has received several awards over the years and we are happy to share them with you.
- I vini di Veronelli 2023: 2 stars
- Gambero Rosso 2023: 2 glasses
- Vitae. La guida vini 2023: 3 vines
- Doctor Wine 2023: 95/100
- Doctor Wine 2022: 95 punti
- Le Guide de l’Espresso (vini) 2022: 4 bottiglie
- I vini di Veronelli 2022: 2 stelle
- Intravino: 90 punti
- Vini Buoni d’Italia 2022: 3 stelle
- Gambero Rosso 2022: 2 bicchieri
- Bibenda 2022: 4 grappoli
- Vitae. La guida vini 2022: 3 viti
- JamesSuckling.com: 93 punti
- Go Wine. Cantine d’Italia: Vino top
- Vini buoni d’Italia: 4 stelle
- Gambero Rosso: 2 bicchieri
- Slow Wine : Vino Top - Vino Slow
- Vitae. La guida vini: 3 viti gialle e 1 grigia
- Doctor Wine: 93 punti
- Bibenda 2019: Cinque grappoli
- Slow Wine 2019: Al naso aromi fruttati, sentori di erbe aromatiche e spezie pungenti. Vena minerale
- Vini buoni d’Italia 2019: 3 stelle
- Gambero Rosso 2019: 2 Bicchieri
- Go Wine. Cantine d’Italia 2019: Vino top
- Bibenda 2018: 4 grappoli
- Go Wine: Cantine d’Italia 2018: Vino top
- Slow Wine 2017: Tipica nota ammandorlata sul finale
- Bibenda 2017: 4 grappoli
- Vini d’Italia 2017, Le Guide de L’Espresso: Colpisce per il doppio binario di concentrazione e amabilità
- I vini di Veronelli 2017: Due Stelle, Vino ottimo
- Gambero Rosso 2017: Due bicchieri rossi
- Vitae. La guida vini 2017:: Vino di ottimo profilo
- Cantine d’Italia 2017: Vino Top
- I vini di Veronelli 2016: 2 stelle
- I vini d’Italia 2015, Le Guide de L’Espresso: Vino d’eccellenza, Primo nella classifica della denominazione
- I vini di Veronelli 2015: Vino ottimo
- Bibenda 2015: Quattro grappoli
- Guida Essenziale ai Vini d’Italia: 90/100
- Gambero Rosso 2015: Due bicchieri
- I vini buoni d’Italia 2015: Due stelle
- I vini d’Italia 2014, Le Guide de L’Espresso: Vino d’eccellenza, Primo nella classifica della denominazione
- I vini di Veronelli 2014: Vino ottimo
- Bibenda 2014: Quattro grappoli
- Gambero Rosso 2014: Due bicchieri
- Annuario dei migliori vini italiani 2014: 84/100
- I vini buoni d’Italia 2014: Quattro stelle
Buy the byodinamic excellence
The organic products of the company, the selection of all our wine labels and the chance to receive special invitations. Go to the online shop