La Madonnina vineyard within La Raia’s estate is situated on a south-east. The calcareous, clayish and marly soil is particularly suitable for Cortese vine farming. As for all of our vineyards, we avoid any kind of fertilizer and chemical products. The soil is planted with green manure – made up of broad beans, peas and clover – which, once trimmed, transforms into fertilizer and humus.
Cortese grapes for the production of Gavi Riserva benefit of great thermic ventilation and an ideal microclimate, thanks to their natural exposure. Yield does not go over 65 quintals per hectare. During the maturation phase grapes are selected in the vineyard, allowing to obtain a naturally awesome alcoholic content.
Grapes are harvested and handpicked at the end of September. After the selection, grapes are destemmed and delicately pressed. The must obtained is then decanted without adding any oenological additives at a low temperature. Alcoholic fermentation takes place in small stainless steel tanks at a controlled temperature. Approximately 25 days later, at the end of the fermentation, the wine is poured into another stainless steel tank, and there it remains for 6 months, as required by the production regulations. The Gavi docg Riserva is then bottled and continues refining for another six months in the bottle, before being exposed to the market. This refinement procedure results into a long-lived and pleasant to drink wine.
COLOUR: straw yellow, more or less intense.
AROMA: fine and delicate, with floral hints typical of the Gavi area.
MOUTH FEEL: rich, dry, harmonic, and pleasant to the palate, savoury, with a persistent warm finish.
ALCOHOL CONTENT: 13%
Excellent with seafood, above all with shellfish of which it brings out the par- ticular taste, and with light first courses and risotto. It is the perfect match also for fresh or semi-soft cheese.
Best served: Between 10° and 12° C.
Bottles should be stored in a cool dry place, and in the dark, at 12°/15° C.
Respecting the earth gives great quality. Gavi DOCG Riserva Vigneto Madonnina has received several awards over the years and we are happy to share them with you.
- JamesSuckling.com: 92 Points
- I Vini di Veronelli: 2 Stars
- Gambero Rosso: 2 Glasses
- Bibenda: 4 Grapes
- Slow Wine: A structured wine, enriched with a pleasant well-balanced acidity.
- Vitae: 3 Grapes
- Gambero Rosso 2019: three red Glasses
- Bibenda 2018: Four Grapes
- Gambero Rosso 2018: two red Glasses
- Vitae. La guida vini 2018: High-level wine
- Go Wine: Cantine d’Italia 2018, worth to taste
- Slow Wine 2017: Fresh mouth feel, round and pleasantly long
- Bibenda 2017: Five Grapes
- I Vini di Veronelli 2017: Two Stars
- Gambero Rosso 2017: 3 red Glasses
- Millesime Bio 2017: Gold Medal
- Slow Wine 2016: the best Gavi of the year
- I Vini di Veronelli 2016: 2 stars
- Bibenda 2016: Five grapes
- Gambero Rosso 2016: Two red glasses
- Vini Buoni d’Italia: A good expression of freshness and elegance
- I vini d’Italia 2016: 4 bottles – 16.5/20
- Annuario dei migliori vini italiani: 84/100
- Decanter: Bronze Medal
- I vini d’Italia 2015, Le Guide de L’Espresso: Very high-level wine
- I vini di Veronelli: Excellent wine
- Gambero Rosso: 2 Red Glasses
- I vini buoni d’Italia: 4 Stars
- Annuario dei migliori vini italiani 2015: 80/100
Buy the byodinamic excellence
The organic products of the company, the selection of all our wine labels and the chance to receive special invitations. Go to the online shop