La Raia’s soil dedicated to Barbera’s farming is marly and calcareous, it extends at approximately 380 metres above sea level, south positioned. The vineyards, which are only raised with the Guyot method as per the Piedmont ancient tradition, have a density of 4500 vines per hectare, aged 15 years old. The operations in the vineyards are in line with the farm’s philosophy thus the biodynamic principles, no use of chemical products is foreseen.
The Barbera grapes have been cultivated in Piedmont since medieval times. When grapes are healthy and perfectly ripe, they have a high sugar rate and a good acidity that is typical of the Barbera vine.
The vintage happens between the end of September and the beginning of October. Grapes are handpicked and put in crates to be brought into the cellar. After that grapes are destemmed and pressed thus, the must begins its fermentation with natural lees and on the skin. The following day pumpovers start to extract colour and aroma. The alcoholic fermentation continues slowly for 15 days. Then racking takes place, separation of the liquid from the skins. The wine is kept at a temperature of 20° C for about one month, to favour the malolactic fermentation. After some decanting necessary to make the product clearer, the wine is refined in stainless steel tanks.
COLOUR: ruby garnet-red, with purplish hints.
AROMA: Intense flower aroma, suggesting rose and small brushwood fruits.
MOUTHFEEL: full, harmonic and warm, with a pleasant, savoury finish.
ALCOHOL CONTENT: 15,5%
Its simplicity and immediacy make it the perfect match for every meal. It is excellent with meat sauces, roasts and medium aged cheese.
Best served: between 18° and 20° C.
If stored in a cool dry place, and in the dark, at 10°/18° C, bottles keep unaltered for 4/5 years.
Respecting the earth gives great quality. Piemonte DOC Barbera has received several awards over the years and we are happy to share them with you.
- I vini di Veronelli 2023: 1 stella
- Vitae. La guida vini 2023: 3 viti
- I vini di Veronelli 2021: 1 stella
- Vini buoni d’Italia 2021: 3 stelle
- Gambero Rosso 2022: 2 bicchieri
- Bibenda 2022: 3 grappoli
- JamesSuckling.com: 93 punti
- I vini di Veronelli: 1 stella
- Vini buoni d’Italia: 3 stelle
- Bibenda: 3 grappoli
- Vitae. La guida vini: 2 viti rosse
- I Vini di Veronelli: 2 stelle
- Gambero Rosso: 2 bicchieri
- Bibenda: 3 grappoli
- Slow Wine: Vino di buona beva e piacevolmente fresco.
- Vitae: 2 grappoli
- Slow Wine 2018: Vino di facile beva
- Bibenda 2018: 4 grappoli
- Gambero Rosso 2018: 2 bicchieri neri
- Go Wine: Cantine d’Italia 2018, vino da provare
- Bibenda 2017: 3 grappoli
- I Vini di Veronelli 2017: Due stelle, Vino ottimo
- Vinibuoni d’Italia 2017: 2 Stelle
- Slow Wine 2016: Bel rosso d’annata
- I Vini di Veronelli 2016: 1 stella
- Gambero Rosso 2016: 2 bicchieri
- Annuario dei migliori vini italiani: 87/100
- I vini di Veronelli 2015: Vino ottimo
- I vini d’Italia 2014, Le guide de L’Espresso: Vino notevole
- I vini di Veronelli 2014: Vino ottimo
- Slow Wine, Guida 2012: Vino Slow
- Duemilavini Bibendi, Bibenda 2013: Quattro Grappoli
- Guida ai vini d’Italia 2012: Corona
- I Vini d’Italia 2011, Le Guide de L’Espresso: Vino d’eccellenza
- 35° Concorso Enologico Marengo DOC: Premio Selezione Speciale
- Guida ai Vini d’Italia Bio 2010: Corona
Buy the byodinamic excellence
The organic products of the company, the selection of all our wine labels and the chance to receive special invitations. Go to the online shop